31.3.10

:MUSIC: Yacht Rock


"MUSIC" is Jake's new night, which will happen once a month on Tuesdays, and will certainly be digging deeper into artists' catalogues than he would be able to at Transmission. It's not a dance night, it's a "relax and chill with a glass of wine" night. Should be pretty cool. First one is, of all things, Yacht Rock, which is actually a pretty big night at Transmission, which won't be happening this year. And I'm bummed about that, because I had a great idea for a poster. Anyway. Yacht Rock is all about the light, vanilla songs from the 70's and 80's that aren't even good enough to be considered "Guilty Pleasures." I had no idea how I was going to go about this one. Jake helped me out by sending some images and one painfully cheesy video my way. Then we got on the phone and tried even harder to get an idea for me of what to do. Eventually he decided I should just replicate this:

Which, when viewed side-by-side, I pretty much did just copy it. I tried to add my own flair, what with the yellow background. And copying stuff is something that only happens when there's not much else I can do. I had to capture the vibe appropriately, and I'm actually very pleased at how it turned out.

Besides, even the masters copy sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment