20.10.09

:PERSONAL: Space Oddity


I feel like talking about this design would take more energy than it did to make it. It wasn't hard. On the contrary, it was SO much fun. But it just took a long time, and it took even longer to get a solid concept.

I started with making a stream of colored blocks. But the colors looked stupid and the blocks didn't have a good flow. I tried over and over with them. Then I started making a big color chart in illustrator--I got a bit sidetracked. But it sort of gave me a bit more focus, and I thought I better just do what I know--and I went back to the colored lines. But it wasn't going to be enough of an impact, so I made three of each color.

Wait, wait... I'm getting ahead of myself.

The concept I wanted was a 70s-era Sci Fi cover of David Bowie's Space Oddity. The font again is Avant Garde and the lines give a sense of cosmic journey. The background I fashioned out of photoshop brushes and a paper texture. The little man? Also a brush. But I'm not sure where I got this from, I just think having a little ambiguous character gives it that 70s vibe. Don't ask me why, because I don't have much evidence for that.

It all sort of formed organically. I didn't even start out with this idea in mind. It WAS going to be something different, and I'm glad I changed it. I'm really proud of this. The only thing I regret is that it's not FOR anything. It's simply there to be seen by anyone who comes across it. Designing for personal enjoyment is a double-edged sword.

Although if I do generate enough interest, I'd love to sell this as a print.

And "D.R. Jones" is David Robert Jones aka David Bowie. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment