4.12.10

:HANDSOME DEVIL:

"Handsome Devil" cover
This project was quite huge, and took about 4 weeks of good hard work to achieve. I'm in the end stages of my Graphic Design degree at school, which means we finally have classes where we make portfolio-worthy pieces. This particular project was a 24-page (I did 30) catalogue on anything we wanted to do, with basically no limitations when it came to the design. It was a good idea, though, to do something we were somewhat passionate about, and had access to images of. I called my friend Nicholas Smith up, who is a very fervent collector of vintage clothing and accessories, and asked if I could use him and his collection for my catalogue. He agreed, and we went to work. It started out as being I would take pictures of entire outfits and feature one per spread, but that was going to be too much work in such a short amount of time. So, I did just ties, and really found no lack of them (he has some 50 ties just from the 1960's alone).
"Handsome Devil" excerpt
"Handsome Devil" excerpt
"Handsome Devil" excerpt
"Handsome Devil" excerpt
"Handsome Devil" excerpt
I conceptualized the entire catalogue, took all the photos, edited them, and so on. I love circles, as we all know, and here I took extra care to display what they also meant for fashion. These are vintage ties, and vintage is very big right now. Our society has a way of recycling trends, and things coming full circle and I believe that history is a wheel. There was no other option than to use the circle. Not only to carry that theme through, but to give pops of color to the photos which I decided would be black and white and grainy (a choice I sometimes regretted when I had a picture that looked awesome in color).

It wasn't very hard after making the first spread. If you want a large catalogue to be consistent and thorough and smart, it's actually very simple: make a template and stick with it. I'm pretty proud of myself for this, and I couldn't done it without the help and companionship of my friend Nick.

SEE THE ENTIRE CATALOGUE HERE

(p.s. "Handsome Devil" is the name of a Smiths song.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so in love with your catalog, Caroline. I could browse that shit all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you Arielle! I'd love to see everyone's catalogue. I wish we could all get together and show them off to each other!

    ReplyDelete